Friday 16 March 2012

Spring is sprung....

A beautiful Friday afternoon up North, Friends visiting this weekend and Mothering Sunday too.  What better excuse to bake some flowery cupcakes?

I was rather taken with some new silicone cupcake cases in Lakeland and they popped into my shopping basket almost without me thinking about it.  I'm not a big fan of silicone bakeware generally.  It doesn't seem to keep its shape while it cooks and I have had some almost rugby ball shaped loaf cakes with one piece I own.  However, these cases are shaped like flower pots so were just begging to be iced to within an inch of their lives!.

I used the usual chocolate cupcake recipe and a basic vanilla buttercream coloured with Wilton's Leaf Green food colour paste.  The bit that took most of the afternoon was cutting out the leaves and flowers to go on top.  I used a combination of stamp cutters and small flower and leaf cutters and coloured some ready to roll icing to make the shapes.  It doesn't dry quite as firm as sugarpaste but I find it much easier to work with as it doesn't stick to everything it touches.

I was really pleased with the result


It was also great to get out into the garden to take the photos.  Cakes always look better in daylight and this is a sure sign that spring is truly on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment